Friday, September 20, 2013

Exploration 4

The story that affected me the most was Nick's story. I am very close with my mother so I can't even imagine the hurt and anger that he felt. Seeing the hurt in his eyes made me appreciate my mother even more. Every little thing she does for me means so much. When his mother died, Nick "lost" his dad. He was alone throughout the process of coping. That must've made it so much harder to deal with the loss of his mother. I was very glad to hear that he and his dad had gotten closer. When Nick was talking about Osama Bin Laden he expressed that he used to be angry at him, but now he doesn't hate him. He says " I don't even know this guy, how can I hate him?" That was very powerful to me because it shows he has dignity and respect, even if things didn't go his way.

I really appreciated the time-lapse in this film. It showed the slow progression of new hopes and strength. The character that progressed the most, in my opinion, was Ling Young. From the beginning she stayed strong, but at times felt weak. After undergoing multiple surgeries she remained strong and happy, even when her body disagreed. She stated "It happened, but I'm alive." That's the mind set everyone should have when going through a rough time.You can see the progression of all of the characters. Most of them have trouble coping. Many remain "stuck" in the guilt or depression stage. It takes most of them the full 8-9 years to finally have enough courage to move on or try to forget.

The most important thing that I took away from this story was to live my life to the fullest. To cherish every day that I have with family and friends because you never know when it might end. This film has truly inspired me to enjoy life.

5 comments:

  1. I can totally relate I'm close to my mom and seeing his face really affected me, thoughts of my mom raced through my head. I could not imagine losing my mom and my dad. But it was good to that their healed their relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick also affected me the most. I am also very close to my mother and I think that is why it affected me the most. I think his voice also did it for me. He just sounded so sad and lost. I totally agree with what you took away from the movie. We take life for granted even though we are not guaranteed to live even one more day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that quote by Ling to be very inspiring as well. At least I'm here. That is a very important realization and I'm glad she and others were able to come to recognize it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Nick is something special because not everyone can let Osama just go like that and not even be mad at him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always chose nick because thinking about his lost makes me think what would I do and how would I cope with it. I don't think I would be able to. This film showed how he came out of his struggle of being alone to his life coming back together to make his mother proud

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.