Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Where's Ever'body Goin?

           The man took two steps backward. "Well, you ain't in your country now. You're in California, an' we don't want you goddamn Okies settlin' down."  (Grapes of Wrath pg. 214)  This quote from the chapter foreshadows what lays ahead of the family and what they will face in the time to come.  A man and a small boy explained to them an Okie is scum and a dirty son-of-a-bitch.  It goes to show how the law enforcement is going to treat them the further west they go.
           The family really starts to fall apart here in this chapter.  With grampa already gone and granma getting sick and eventually dieing the family shrinks.  Then when Noah decides he just can't leave that river he wanders off probably most likely never to be seen again.  The Wilson's aren't really blood related to them but I saw them kind of as part of the gang and with Mrs. Wilson getting sick and it doesn't tell that she past away but hints that she will.  Mr. Wilson stays behind and the Joad's are off again.
          Wisdom and Knowledge are much alike and there seems to me to be just a few minor differences.  Knowledge is something that you learn and all of the things that you have been taught.  I was taught in grade school how to read and that 2x2=4.  That is part of my own personal knowledge.  The difference in wisdom is knowing how and when to use your knowledge for bettering yourself.  Wisdom isn't necessarily taught but it is molded into you through growing up and watching your parents, friends, role models, and even television.

1 comment:

  1. I don't necessarily think that the family is falling apart in this chapter, I just think that they lose one more member but they try and remain strong. I agree with you on wisdom.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.