"I was afraid we wouldn' get acrost," she said. " I tol' Granma we couldn' he'p her. The fambly had ta get acrost. I tol' her, tol' her when she was a-dyin'. We couldn' stop in the desert. There was the young ones--an' Rosanharns's baby. I tol' her" She put up her hands and covered her face for a moment. "She can get buried in a nice green place," Ma said softly. "Trees aroun'an' a nice place. She got to lay her head down in California." I think this paragraph really showed Ma Joad's strength. That must have been really hard for her not to be able to mourn as she wanted to at the time. The family really commended her and respected her for it.
Another event that struck me in the chapter was when Ma and Rose of Sharon were sleeping and they were awaken by local authority warning them that they had to be gone by morning and that they didn't want "Okies" settling there. Ma took it very hard, the level of disrespect they had towards her was very hard for her to handle. She had to sit and compose herself because of how angry she was.
There is a difference between knowledge and wisdom. Knowledge is information in which someone is aware of. Wisdom is the ability to use that knowledge to make correct judgement or decisions. An Example of knowledge vs. wisdom can be death. Everyone knows about death and how hard it is for someone to lose a loved one. Not everybody is wise in how they deal with death. Because I've experienced the heartbreak of loosing a loved one recently I would consider myself to have wisdom about it. I have learned how to adjust, mourn and I am working at moving on. Not everybody can say that they know exactly how to do that. Some people can act out because they don't know how to deal with it. That would not be using wisdom. A quote that has helped me is "Only people who are capable of loving strongly can also suffer great sorrow, but this same necessarily of loving serves to counteract their grief and heals them."
I really like your title. It goes along very well with your first quote.
ReplyDeleteI really like the quotes you used for this. It shows their fear of the Time in a way.
ReplyDelete