I feel as though I am most connected with Jim Casey. His approach to the world was once to show others the way to righteousness through the gospel, but now he is re-evaluating his life, and taking an entirely different path. I have always considered myself to be a good guy, but recently I have also taken a look back at my life and realize that I have not always been quite as good as others have viewed me, and that's not fair. Jim Casey takes in his surroundings, pays attention to the world and its intricacies, and truly thinks about them. He forms ideas and develops theories, and waits patiently for his services to be needed. He is no longer a preacher....but a mentor. I am a lot like him.
Ma said helplessly, "I dunno what to do. I got to feed the fambly. What'm I gonna do with these here?"
I found this passage in Chapter 20 to be the most important to the challenges that the Joads are facing. Survival. They are a strong family with the belief that they should not only take care of each other, but anyone in need. During their flight from Oklahoma and entry into the new world of California, they are being forced to go against their character by hiding from children while they eat, in order to preserve the family. This feels like such a struggle, especially for Ma Joad, who would give the shirt off her back for anyone, even an enemy.
In today's society we still struggle with doing the right things for the right reasons. We tend to go with what it "politically correct" over what we truly believe in order to not be outcasts. In order to be the people that we should be, we would have to all come together and agree on what is right and wrong. But because we are all human, and have our own beliefs, that can only be a dream.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.