Monday, October 21, 2013

Exploration 6


The character I am most invested in would be Tom because we have been following him throughout the entire novel.  We have seen him since he just got out of McAlester to him making his way across the country to the California.   I can relate with him because to me it would be extremely scary to just get out of prison and be shocked by what the world I once knew had become. 
The most important section of chapter 20 is when the deputies come to the Hooverville and are about to take Floyd and then Floyd punched one of the Deputies.  The deputy fires after Floyd and then is knocked out by Casy.  Casy takes the blame for the whole situation: Casy grinned at him. “Somebody got to take the blame. I got no kids” (Steinbeck 265).  This quote just shows how Casy repays his debt to the Joad family.  He was always thinking what he could do to repay them and in this moment he realizes what he needed to do.
The theme of class discrimination is still relevant today and I do not see anytime soon that changes.  There is always going to be the rich and the poor with the gap between them constantly growing.  In the novel this is incredibly relevant but in my opinion it is not wealth of money but of land.  There are so many who had nothing to their name and those who seemingly owned enough land to be a small country.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.