"Well, you and me got sense. Them goddamn Okies got no sense and no feeling. They ain't human. A human being wouldn't live like they do. A human being couldn't stand it to be so dirty and miserable. They ain't a hell of a lot better than gorillas" (pg. 221). I found this quote so important because all throughout the book you would hear people tell the Joad's that the Californians didn't like the Okies and didn't want them in California but you didn't know if what they were saying was truth or not. Now you really find out how they truly feel and it isn't good. Many people look down on the Okies and judge them won their appearance and don't even give them a chance to prove themselves. This quote shows that even though everyone was struggling people stilled judged the Okies the most and looked down on them more than anyone else.
The second event that struck me the most was when Ma didn't tell the family about Grandma dying. She decided to keep this from her family because she could only think about getting to California. Ma says, "I was afraid we wouldn' get acrost," she said. "I tol' Granma we couldn' he'p her. The fambly had ta get acrost. I tol' her, tol' her when she was a-dyin'. We couldn' stop in the desert." (pg.228). Ma didn't want to risk the idea of not getting to California so she just kept the secret of Grandma dying from her family and carried on. This shows how many struggles the family endured, and how many sacrifices they had to make.
I believe wisdom is how an individual views things at right and wrong in their own ways. Instead of having someone tell you what is right and wrong it is something you learn over a life time. The difference between wisdom and knowledge is that knowledge is something you learn from another person and is most of the time set in stone and can be studied. Wisdom is something that you ultimately decide on your own. You can find wisdom from almost anyone around you. Everyone has their own ideas on wisdom, but in the end you have to decide your own wisdom. An example of wisdom that I have found in my own experience is the wisdom concerning life choices and what paths of life will lead you where. My family members have all shared their experiences in life and have given me wisdom on where it has gotten them.
I pick the same two quotes that you picked. I also thought they were the two most important parts of this chapter because of what they showed.
ReplyDeleteI agree, wisdom is acquired. It can only be learned and everyone acquires it differently
ReplyDeleteI also thought that when Ma didn't tell everybody about Granma dying was a great moment. It said a lot about her character.
ReplyDeleteAlong with Darics comment it showed a lot about ma when she didn't say anything about grandmas death. It kinda makes you think what else is she hiding from the family.
ReplyDelete