Composition for modern times at The Ohio State University.
Monday, December 2, 2013
Last Exploration
The Idea of a Local Enomy by Wendell Berry was very good, it actually reminded me a lot of my last years Government class. It shared a lot of the same ideas we talked and learned about. I agree with the writer when he says the "environmental crisis is prety well established as a fact of our age." I agree with him because over the past twenty to thirty years we have done nothing but destroy the landand I'm pretty sure there wont be enough usable land left if we keep going at the pace we are at. His thoughts were very insightful and brought up old topics that I onced learned about so i enjoyed reading it. The Noble Peace Prize article I read was by Kofi Annan who won the prize in 2001 along with the United Nations. In his speech he talks about we need to care for the individuals because they are the ones the shape who we are. In his speech he says "In this new century, we must start from the understanding that peace belongs not only to states or peoples, but to each and every member of those communities." What this means to me is we shouldn't just give power to the nation or even the states as a whole but to the individuals because they are the ones that hold the power. Without these individuals we would be powerless as a whole grroup. I certainly agree with Mr. Kofi Annan because the individuals are often thrown to the side and ignored. Instead of ignoring them we need to come together and give the individuals the power that way everyone will support their rights and work together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that individuals need more power, but this issue must be approached cautiously. Most people could handle more power, but there are some that wouldn't be able to handle it. I know most of the people in power in this country can't really handle the power. All the politicians now are just in it for the money. they don't really care about making the country better. Power has gone to their heads. Spreading the power out could help though
ReplyDeleteIt is scary to think that when we have children of our own that the world they see ever day will be worse off than we see it today. We think, its not our problem, let others worry about it. To me this is ignorant of us, we need to protect the enviorment for our children's, children. If we do not, we are killing the planet for the future to clean up the mess.
ReplyDeleteI feel as if we all need to work harder to conserve our environment because if we don't then there is going to be nothing left. I don't want to grow old in a world that has no natural resources because we decided to take advantage of what we had.
ReplyDeleteThe amount of land that is being destroyed and the pace at which we are doing it also worries me. I agree with me that pretty soon the land is going to be useless.
ReplyDeletei think you bring up a very good point that he had in his writing. if we keep going at this rate soon there will be nothing left, then what are going to do. we can't keep looking at the future as being so far away, it is starting to catch up with us.
ReplyDelete